Monday, September 29, 2008

Apples to Apples

When we bought the house, we noticed (to T's glee) that there is a mature apple tree in the back yard. It has beautiful flowers on it for about a month (which rain down on the lawn and make mowing a celebratory affair) and every fall.....

Apples.

Tons of them. It's borderline insane.

Last year, we ignored the apples and the deer went nuts. And the bees. And the lawn was pitted with soft, decaying fruit for most of the winter.

This is not something we want to repeat, so while T is at work today....I'm picking apples. Then I am making apple sauce. Then apple butter. Then apple pie. Then.....chutney? I don't know. I can't can anything, as I don't have the appropriate stuff for it, so T's family is about to inherit a giant box of apples and apple accessories.

Maybe I'll freeze some. Apple bread, that might work. Get some dried cherries or something....

Anyway, I'm blathering.

I'm off to the harvest.

Edited to add:

The applesauce ROCKS. Rocks....I'm patting myself on the back.