So last night was my first night at the bakery. I got the call at 4pm that I needed to be there at 8pm. I went home in the wee hours of the morning.
I'm working with two dudes. I can dig it. I'm not sure if they can...it was sort of hilarious.
It would seem that 12 people have started in my position, and all of them have quit after one day. They were very concerned that I wouldn't be coming back--lots of "If you want to come back on Friday...." "If, after that, you still want to work here..."
Uhm....I'm good. I can lift 75 pounds of dough. I can fight with the goddamn pastry sheeter. (PAIN IN THE ASS!) For all of you that don't know what a pastry sheeter is, it's like a giant pasta machine, only rather than rolling pasta it rolls pastry. It's huge, it's noisy, this specific one breaks on a regular basis. (6 times while I was there.) I can measure, I can cut, I can mix, I can do origami, I can freeze and proof and fill and bake. It's fine.
The manager person told me that it's obvious that I have baking talent, that it shows that I am not clueless, and that this is a good thing.
So I go back on Friday. Hopefully I get more sleep.
When I got home this morning, I had flour all over my body. My face, my hair, my skin, my clothes...I dusted about 1/4 cup out of my bra when I got in the shower.
My car, which has black upholstery, has a white butt-print in it.
Anyway.....it's ok. I think it will be fine after I get my sleep schedule readjusted.
