Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Twilight

Today was my first 'day' at my new job.

......Yeah.

The cafe/bakery/whatever I will be working in here isn't open yet, so I have to travel an hour each way to be trained at the location that is open in a town south of here.

This means, in reality, that I am commuting 2 hours total to be trained to work in a restaurant that I won't be working in. If that makes sense. Nothing will be in the same places, there's different storage methods, different menu items.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but whatever.

So I got up this morning at the CRACK, and had T drive me down to work (T got off of work when I woke up, so rather than sleep he drove me because he likes my being alive and my night blindness makes death a real possibility)where I walked in and realized several things:

1)My boss has no sense of humor.
2)My boss isn't a really nice person.
3)My boss thinks I'm a moron, and apparently didn't read my resume when she hired me.
4)#3 is possible because the other employees (whom I have met, there are plenty I have not) are very young, very immature and very....less than smart.

After my boss 'trained' me my saying things like 'This is a cold case! It keeps things cold! This is a coffee maker! It makes coffee!' and then said I smelled and had me sign a personality quiz that basically held me to my word about being a nice person, she left me with a nice girl who has worked her way up to the coveted position of weekday opener.

This girl just turned 21, loves the Twilight series, her boyfriend, and, apparently, text messaging.

She also found out that I will be 27 next month and said, "All the girls from the new store are old! Like, one is almost 30!"

Sigh.

Then her friend/coworker showed up and the two of them stood there and texted and laughed and didn't do anything while I did everything, which, while a good way to be trained, wasn't my favorite. Then I was informed that I would not be receiving tips for my work that day, drank a cup of coffee and lamented the fact that I CANNOT SMOKE while working.

Finally, when my shift was over, T picked me up and I came home and took an amazing and super intense nap.

I'm not feeling worse about the job....but not any better, either.