Today is friday. It also happens to be MY friday--The end of five days of running, sweating, yelling, laughing and the chanting of my new server mantra, "Are you KIDDING me?". We opened the bar for lunch service--Great! Only this means that we have to run up two flights of stairs to get our food, and down two flights of stairs to deliver it. Narrow, badly lit, dirty, greasy well used stairs. Whilst holding the infamous tray. Sigh. We can't seat as many people in the bar as we can in the dining room--unless the patio is open. (I hate the patio already.) People seat themselves, without notifying anyone--only to be noticed (of course) while your hands are full and taking the order for three other tables.
People also don't tip as well in the bar. I dont know if its because they think that its 'less work' or what, but I know that if we were as busy in the dining room as we have been in the bar this week, I would have made at least double in tips. (Except for the people that sit within visual distance of the stairs. They see, and therefore know, the pain that we go through to get them their food.) Its cramped, hectic and hot.
Ah, the things we do for money.
I have next weeked off (Fri, Sat and Sun) for the wedding of F and A--which promises to be glorious. HOWEVER. I requested this time off in January--one would think that was enough time to ensure that I would get the time off, no?
I have the time off, oh yes....But I may have to work half days on Friday and Sunday. (KILL ME.)Sunday is Mothers day, which means that everyone at work who is a mom is pissed that they have to work--I am not a mom. I say, well,
Get over it.
But I dont know that that is going to work. We shall see.
I am also going to attempt to get out of work this monday, as the bachelorette party is Sunday night (I think?) and I am supposed to be at work at 8am on Monday. (Kill me again).
Damnit! I really need to learn to have a shitty work ethic--then my jobs wont want me there all the time and I can take time off for fun, history making things without there being a huge ordeal about it.
Right?
Here's an example of my day now that the bar is open.
8am:Alarm goes off. Panic ensues, snooze button hit.
8:10-9am: Same as above.
9am:Out of bed. Into shower. (Maybe.)
9:15am:Drink coffee, yell at father due to lack of hearing aid.
9:30am:Post blog about work, or fix hair and apply makeup.
10am:Begin looking frantically for lost item (glasses, cellphone, apron, pens, books,etc)which one needs at work.
10:15am:Leave for work.
10:30am:Pick up keys and paper work for restaurant.
10:35-10:45am: Bullshit with kitchen staff while drinking coffee/smoking
10:45am-11am:Frantically finish opening procedure before lead servers arrive.
11:04am:Open restaurant.
11:06am:Realize lost item which was found has been left at home, swear to self.
11:07-12noon:Clean, organize and watch television. Drink energy drink as pre-emptive strike.
12:01-1:30pm:Run miles around restaurant, making drinks, hauling food, yelling at computer system, clearing tables, smiling and sweating at the endless hordes of people that all want to eat at the same fucking time.
1:31pm: Listen to the silence of the restauant as it is now empty. Survey damage.
1:35-2pm:Clear, clean and reorganize.
2-4pm:Make drinks for the afternoon lushes, swear at tip amounts.
4-8pm:Wonder why everyone likes 'Wheel of Fortune' so much. Haul trays, do sidework, yell at kitchen, get yelled at by kitchen, drink more energy drinks until one's urine could light up a neon sign.
8pm:Leave restaurant.
8:02pm: Arrive home.
8:04pm:Clean kitchen, make dinner, put in load of laundry.
8:20pm: Announce intentions of going to bed, leave plate for father in oven. Lay down, thinking you are just taking a pit stop on way to brushing teeth.
11pm:Wake up in absolute panic with head wedged between bed and wall. Brush teeth, light up the night with urine.
11:02pm: Collapse back into bed.
12midnight:Lay awake and staring at celing.
2am:Fall asleep sitting up at computer.
3am:Wake up wondering what's wrong with your ear--realize it is compressed between wall and head.
3:02am:Go back to bed, remember to set alarm.
Repeat as necessary.
See why Im happy today is my Friday?
