Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Blink

I'm not buying the car.

Please re-surge the good vibes. Thanks.

Apparently, when the girl listed the car as "totally clean and sound! Just a few bumps on the back bumper!" she was either a)lying or b)an idiot. I'm going with the second one.

I told her I wanted the car inspected to see if any major mechanical work needed to be done, and that I would pay for it. She agreed. We also signed an agreement stating that if there was any major work that needed to be done, we would adjust the sale of the car accordingly.

She calls me with the results of the inspection, and says....

"I'm not really mechanically inclined, so i don't really know what this stuff means, but the timing belt needs replacing, the valve gasket covers are leaking, the water pump needs to be redone, one of the blades on the cooling fan is broken, the serpentine belt needs to be replaced and the coolant flushed. Call me!"

So I do. In a panic. I, also not mechanically inclined, but not an idiot, understand that the aforementioned things equal 1)Serious money and 2)I'm not paying this much money for a car that needs that much work.

So I call her. I explain that this is bad. That I will not buy the car unless these things are fixed.

She tells me she will replace the timing belt (apparently the only thing with an exclamation point next to it on her notes) and that's it.

I tell her I'm sorry, but I cannot buy this car for that price and need to get all that work done.

She tells me she will split the repairs with me.

I tell her, NO, she won't.

She tells me she will come down $900 in price.

Nope.

She then proceeds to start crying. (She is using this money to go to china in like, a week. Who doesn't sell their car for trip money until a week before?)
She can't afford the repairs, and she can't afford to take less than $900 off the price.

Sorry.

I tell her I understand, and that I truly am sorry. I genuinely want this car, but it is not feasible.

THEN! She gets mad.

"I just really wish I had a head's up. If I had known this car needed to be in perfect condition for you to pay full price for it, I would have shown it to other people."

Silence.

"I'm just being honest.", she tells me.

"You do know that you advertised this car for being in perfect condition with all the maintenance records up to date, and all services needed had been performed, right?", I tell her. "You do know that isn't the truth, now, right?"

"I'm in a real pickle (she actually said pickle.) now, that's all."

I told her that I would still pay for the inspection, which in my mind is fair. She then took my mailing address and hung up on me.

No Jetta for me.

Oh well. Such is my life. Nothing can be easy. I guess it's off the the Auto Mall, (also known as "The Eighth Circle of Hell") to go shopping. Kill me.

T's sister is getting married this weekend. T's car is dead, dead, dead. Bye Bye Jeep, it's been good knowing you. Sigh.

I'm not going to California for my vacation. I'm going....somewhere we haven't decided on yet. Car shopping, probably.

I hate my job and all things involved with it. So there.

Consider yourselves updated!