I have had something of an epiphany.
(One of my favorite excerpts from a book is in Augusten Burroughs' "Magical Thinking", where he says, 'Then it came to me, the way Jesus comes to people in trailer parks.....an epiphany.') (My apologies to any and all readers who are born again christians who live in trailers. The rest of you are....exempt.)
I am really, really digging on French Europop at the moment.
Please take a moment to let your shame wash over you at reading that statement.
And now allow me to explain.
I don't love France. I have never been to France, or to Europe at all, (Oh, but I will go. I will load my self up with enough anti-anxiety medication to take down a family of elephants, write a missive of apology to T for the next 16 hours of his life, and board that fucking plane.) but France doesn't really do it for me. I love Provencal style food, pan au chocolat, cafe au lait, and a good Beaujolais now and again, but....nah. (I am willing to amend that statement upon research. But sensors are pointing to no for the time being.)
Anyway.
Daft Punk: French. (That makes me love France. Well, at least have a small bit of respect for it. It can't be that bad if this sort of magic comes out of it.....)
Saint Germain: French. (It's totally obscure. Love, love, love. Everyone really needs to go hear this song. I'm serious. I can't think of a person that wouldn't like it. Maybe a communist or something.) (It gives me amazing memories of consuming illegal psychotropic substances on a roof top in the summer with more than a few bottles of wine, good friends, warm breezes through the top tree boughs, twinkling white lights.....Pot will do that to you. Anyway.)
Air: French. (Everyone knows these kids. Great stuff, though. I have really strange coming of age memories to this song. But this is good too.) (It's also T's theme song in my mind, but no one wanted to know that. Sorry, family.)
I was recently introduced, due to my insomnia and constant internet surfing, that there is something new (to me) to come leaping out of France and into my head, which gave me so much joy.....It is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a long time, if you discount Japan. (They love them the weird pop.)
Sebastien Tellier.
I read the synopsis under the video, written by a blogger whose impression was very similar to mine. She compared him to a pre-Scientology Beck, and also said that if she had kids, she would tell them that he was Jesus.
Wildly inappropriate, but hilarious if you're a heathen like me. Apologies.
I do love me the inexplicable and strange music/ians. The Flaming Lips? Love. Modest Mouse? (Yes, they are main stream now, but they sure didn't use to be.)(Not the song I would have chosen to encompass their earlier work, but whatever. Another song with great memories.)
Anyway, all that linking.....Lord, it's 4:15 in the morning.
I can't sleep. Have I mentioned my insomnia? Yeah.
Anyway, all that linking goes to show several things you already knew.
1)I have really, really weird taste in music.
2)I want to go to France to get cheap(er) CD's
3)I cannot sleep, and therefore have too much time on my hands.
I'm off to collect T from work.
